Want to see an example of Dr. Riffel’s humor and ability to teach about behavior? Watch this short video
Quantum Secrets of Creating a Quality Life for Learners with Autism
This presentation is appropriate for any educator or family member Pre-K through 12.
- A presentation time of 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. works best.
- A link will be sent for the booklet required for this training. You will need to print a booklet for each participant
- Dr. Riffel will link the PowerPoint presentation the day of the training for participants.
- Classroom style setting for participants (they will be writing and participating in group discussions.)
- If more than 50 participants, Dr. Riffel will need a lavaliere (lapel) microphone and the ability to link to a sound system for video clips that illustrate specific points. (Dr. Riffel cannot hold a microphone for an extended period of time or stand in one place as she demonstrates with actual materials and through audience interaction.)
- An extra table up front is required for demonstration materials.
- Overview of Autism, Asperger and PDD NOS.
- Autism Spectrum Disorders are now recognized by the Center for Disease Control to be prevalent in one out of every 88 births. (1 in 54 boys) (2012) This translates to an increased need in understanding the spectrum for the regular classroom, special education classroom, and any other organization that has children for clients.
- Provide information on interventions for access to sensory input and escape from sensory overload.
- Maximize communication efforts by utilizing Picture Exchange Communication Symbols (PECS), Sign Language, Visual Schedules, Object Schedules, and Now/Then Schedules.
- Social stories in a unique PowerPoint format with audio and visual output for the learner.
- Potty Training techniques for children with autism.
- Transition difficulties are one of the most frequently cited problems for children with autism spectrum disorder. Participants will learn techniques to make transitioning as easy as ABC.
- Academic skills are often underplayed in children with autism. This presentation will focus on ways to teach Spelling, Venn Diagrams, Math, and Reading at higher levels.
- Calming activities for children with autism spectrum disorder; what works and what doesn’t.
- Famous people with Asperger Syndrome….you will be surprised.
Proposed Agenda: This can be modified to suit your needs.
8:30-9:45- Ten Rules About Behavior with Autism in Mind
9:45-10:00- What is Autism
10:15-10:45- Using Data to Make Decisions
1:00-1:20- Power Point Relationship Narratives, Video Modeling, and Video Self-Modeling
1:45-2:00- Social Skills Training
2:15-2:30- Leisure Activities and Reinforcers
3:00-3:30- Other ideas for sensory, reading, music, sorting, behavior plan and odds and ends