Want to see an example of Dr. Riffel’s humor and ability to teach about behavior? Watch this short video
Recharging Your Batteries: Classroom Management (Two Day Seminar)
Recharging Your Classroom Management Batteries: Three Tiers of Support for the Classroom (Universal, Targeted, and Intensive)
In this two-day seminar, we will be able to give more explicit examples and share stories of these interventions in the field. We will also be able to spend more time building skills for the staff to understand where behavior originates and how to ameliorate.
- Pre-K through 12th Grade
- General and Special Education
- Educators, Counselors, Psychologists, Administrators, Parents, Therapeutic Foster Parents, Behavior Specialists, Support Staff
- A presentation time of 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. works best.
- A link will be sent for the booklet required for this training. You will need to print a booklet for each participant
- Dr. Riffel will link the PowerPoint presentation the day of the training for participants.
- Classroom style setting for participants (they will be writing and participating in group discussions.)
- If more than 50 participants, Dr. Riffel will need a lavaliere (lapel) microphone and the ability to link to a sound system for video clips that illustrate specific points. (Dr. Riffel cannot hold a microphone for an extended period of time or stand in one place as she demonstrates with actual materials and through audience interaction.)
- An extra table up front is required for demonstration materials.
- Provides skills for basing interventions at three levels in the classroom:
- Universal Level – for all students
- Targeted Group Level- for specific behaviors: noncompliance, blurting, disrespect, and more
- Tertiary Level for functional behavior support
- Maximizes research-based interventions that will work with many children in many settings in and out of the classroom.
- Gives step-by-step instructions for implementing contingency and reinforcements for classroom support.
- Rewires the Hardwire: Proven strategies for overriding the reactive behaviors of adults – Frequently, we fall into the trap of reacting when a student has a behavior instead of thinking proactively first.
- Interventions are applicable for preschool, elementary, middle school, and high school.
- Shares access to valuable resources: Participants will see visual examples of token economy systems that work, sensory tools for children and learn why fidgeting is so important.
- Participants will receive mnemonics to help them remember key points: (things to set on their desk to help them remember the key points)
- Provides unique interventions that leave children with no chance to argue.
- Shares academic ideas for children who are struggling to keep up and children who are struggling to stay focused. (Frequently, behavior communication indicates children have too little to do more than too much to do.)
- Supports Behavioral Competence in the Classroom: Applying proactive research-based methods to increase applied behavior analysis and a continuum of supports for children with target behaviors.
Proposed Agenda: This can be modified to suit your needs:
8:30-9:00-Classroom Management Overview
9:00-9:30-Universal Behavior Support
9:30-10:00-Targeted Behavior Support
10:45-11:30-Ten Rules of Behavior
12:45-1:00- Ten Rules Continued
2:15-3:15-Replacement Behavior Interventions
8:30-9:00- Questions from Yesterday?
9:00-10:00-Using Literature to Teach Social Skills
10:15-11:00-Reframe the Response
11:00-11:30-Group Contingency-Group Reinforcement
12:45-1:15-Group Contingency-Group Reinforcement
1:15-2:00-Targeted Contingency-Targeted Reinforcement
2:15-2:45-Individual Contingency- Individual Reinforcement